These cupcakes have no butter or eggs in them, but manage to be fluffy and very chocolatey. If you still want more chocolate, try throwing some chocolate chips in, and don’t say that I didn’t warn you.
Healthy(ish) Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup of coconut milk or milk
- 4 ounces of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of instant coffee or espresso powder
- 1/3 of a cup of canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3/4 of a cup of sugar
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 + 2 tablespoons of cup of cocoa powder
- 3/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 of a teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
In a microwave or on the stove top, heat the coconut milk until it is hot (but not boiling). In a small bowl Pour the milk over the chocolate and coffee powder, let it sit for a minute and then stir it.
Whisk the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract in to coffee mixture.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add them to the wet ingredients and beat the mixture until few lumps remain. Pour the batter into the liners, filling each to the 2/3 point.
Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack and let them cool completely before frosting them with chocolate or vanilla buttercream frosting.