This recipe yields enough for a 20 pound holiday bird. Reduce ingredients proportionally for a family size chicken or duck.
Also – if you’re using sausage links remove the casings before cooking.
Sausage Stuffing (3 quarts, enough for a 20 lb turkey)
- 3-to-4 lbs sweet Italian sausage (either chicken or pork, see post on sweet Italian sausage)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter (substitute olive oil if you don’t want dairy)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock (see post on chicken stock)
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter (or heat olive oil) in a large skillet. Add sausage, breaking it apart with a spatula, and cook until browned. Remove sausage to a large bowl, leaving juices in the skillet.
Place celery, carrots and onion in the skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and sauté until carrots soften and onion becomes translucent. Then remove from heat and add the vegetables and cooking liquid to the bowl.
Add remaining ingredients and mix. This can be done the night before cooking as a time saver.