- 3/4 of a cup of cake flour
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 3/4 of a cup and 1 tbsp of sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, separated, and at room temperature
- 1/4 of a cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of grated lemon zest (about 4 lemons)
- 1/2 of a tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/3 of a cup of water
- 1/4 of a tsp of cream of tartar
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and 3/4 cup of sugar. Set it aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the three egg yolks, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and water. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients.
With an electric mixer, beat the three egg whites on medium speed until foamy, then add the cream of tartar and beat on high until soft peaks form, 1-2 minutes.
Gradually add the tablespoon of sugar, beating on high for about 3 minutes until stiff peaks form.
Stir 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the batter, then use a rubber spatula to gently fold the remaining 2/3 into the batter, do not over mix.
Cool the cake for at least 2 hours on a rack before running a knife between cake and pan and inverting onto a plate. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.